Garbage & Recycling
The residential Refuse/Garbage Collection Program is a partnership between the Village of Park Forest and Homewood Disposal Co. Inc./Star Disposal. Refuse/Garbage collection service is provided to single-family residences only. Multi-family townhomes, condominiums, and cooperative areas all contract separately for refuse/garbage collection service, call the respective Management Office for questions. Star Disposal will collect 4 types of waste, common household waste, recyclable waste, electronic waste, and yard waste.
Common Household Waste
Village-wide garbage collection is on Tuesday of every week. Garbage bins should be placed curbside by 7 a.m. When a holiday such as Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Independence Day/July 4th fall on a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, garbage collection will take place on Wednesday of that week only. Residents must use the brown garbage bin provided by Star Disposal. Additional brown garbage bins are available through Star Disposal, please call 708-748-8381.
There is no bulk collection day, however residents may place one large item out for collection at no charge each week. Bulk items consist of kitchen appliances, washers, dryers, or furniture. For any questions regarding an item, call Star Disposal.
No hazardous waste, special waste, car parts, or tires will be collected. Small amounts of dirt, sod, bricks, concrete, and remodeling debris will be collected.
Residents can dispose of recyclable waste on Tuesdays by using green recycle bins provided by Star Disposal. Recyclable waste is collected every other Tuesday. Additional green recycle bins are available through Star Disposal. Accepted items are:
- White, brown, and green glass bottles and jars
- Tin and aluminum containers
- Plastic containers, # 1-7 (excluding #6) - Look for number on container
- Newspapers, junk mail, magazines, telephone books, catalogs, cardboard (emptied and flattened)
Electronic Waste (E-Waste)
Residents can dispose of electronic waste on Tuesdays at no extra charge. Below is the process for Electronic Waste pick-up.
- Call 708-798-1004 or visit www.mydisposal.com/ewaste to schedule your e-waste pick-up.
- Place your scheduled electronics at the curb on garbage day (Tuesday).
- A separate truck will pick up electronic waste.
• Minimum of 5 electronic items or 1 TV or computer monitor per scheduled pick-up.
• Maximum of 2 TVs or computer monitors per year, per address.
• This service is for single-family homes only. Disposing of electronics with household garbage was made illegal January 1, 2012 by the Illinois Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Act.
Yard Waste (Service is available on First Tuesday in April through last Tuesday in November)
Residents can dispose of yard waste on Tuesdays by using 30 gallon biodegradable paper bags purchased from Star Disposal or at Village Hall. If a yard waste bag is purchased elsewhere, then a Star Disposal Sticker needs to be purchased and placed on those yard waste bags. Star Disposal bags and stickers are available at Village Hall.
Residents in single-family homes also have an option to rent a 95-gallon yard waste bin from Star Disposal. Additional bins are available at the request of the resident. Tree branches are also available for collection. Branches must be five feet in length or less, bundled/tied together, and no branch may be greater than four inches in diameter.
Christmas tree pick-up service is provided in January. All ornaments, tinsel, lights, etc. must be removed.
For questions regarding the Refuse/Garbage Collection Program, please call Village Hall at 708-503-7702. Other inquires can be made directly to Star Disposal at 708-748-8381.